What is an Au Pair?
An Au Pair is an unmarried young adult normally aged 18 to 30 years, who has no children and travels to a foreign country for a defined period of time to live with a host family. The au pair is considered as a member of the family during the entire stay. As such, he or she helps the family with childcare and can be asked to assume some light household tasks. In return, the host family provides free board and lodging, as well as pocket money. However, the au pair is neither a housekeeper nor a nanny.
Chinese Host Families are happy to welcome you as an Au Pair in their house and will make anything they can for you to feel at home.
Your role as an Au Pair in your Host Family will mainly be that of an educator and a language partner for the children (and sometimes for adult members of the family as well!). At the same, time you will enjoy the unique benefits of such a mutual exchange by bringing your own culture to their homes.
What does the Au Pair do with the host family?
- Play with the Children
- Teach them English
- Do light housework like cleaning the floor, bathing the children, helping them get ready in the morning, making them breakfast and such activities.
- Working hours in China are 35 hours per week, with no more than 6 hours per day.
What does the Au Pair get?
The cost of the programme is $600, that includes:
- Return ticket to/from China.
- All visa costs.
- Free meals.
- 1000-1500 RMB/month pocket money (1000 Chinese Yuan Renminbi is equal to 110 GBP-140 GBP)
- Mandarin Class.
- Medical insurance.
- China is a desirable au pair destination due to the demand for English speaking caretakers for children.
You will have a greater understanding of the Chinese culture, through the eyes of a family member and traveller.
- China is an old country with 5000 years history, with its stories, building and rich culture waiting for you.
- China’s economy stocks around the world. With its growing economy and vast opportunity to experience it first hand, don’t you want to see what it’s like?
- You will have the chance to get a job there after your au pair programme finishes! China offers a very good chance for English speakers to find employment due to the fast economic growth! Don’t you want to be a part of it?
Download here the Au Pair China – Before you apply Guide.
APPLY FOR THIS POSITION