Turkish Egg Dish: MENEMEN
Hi, it’s Ezgi from Turkey. Today I’ll give you a traditional dish recipe of Menemen.
Menemen is an extremely tasty breakfast, lunch or dinner recipe. You might have heard about the world-famous Turkish breakfast, which consists of several appetizer-like foods. Mostly, we eat Menemen at breakfast but whenever we want to eat something delicious and easy to cook in that time we prefer for lunch or dinner. It’s a great combination of tomatoes, green peppers, and eggs which are dancing in a pan and to cook is very simple. These are the main elements of Menemen. But I like to eat with onion and cheese as well. There was a huge discussion about “Should we add onion into Menemen or not?” 50% said Yes and 50% said No. So, even Turkish people divided into two parts about it. But I think onion gives great taste and makes it even more delicious. So you are a painter and the pan is your canvas whatever you like just put into the pan and create your special, tasty, yummy dish. Oh my god, even imagining makes me hungry.
Also, you can add meat as I said whatever you like but mostly we eat without meat.
So, let’s start!
- 3 tablespoons olive oil and a bit butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped (optional)
- 3 green peppers, chopped
- 3 chopped tomatoes or canned tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 60 gr kashar cheese (or which cheese would you like to put but it has to be melted) (optional)
- Heat olive oil and butter in a pan
- Add chopped onion and green peppers, saute until tender
- Add chopped tomatoes and cook until the liquid has reduced
- Sprinkle salt and black pepper over it
- In this part, you can break the eggs and mix all them in a bowl and add into Menemen or you can use a wooden spoon, create 4 pockets in the tomato mixture and crack the eggs into them. Cover the pan and cook the eggs over low heat until just set. It depends on how you like.
- When it is almost ready, add the cheese and wait until it melts
And don’t forget to drink Turkish tea with it.
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
When you crack the eggs into it.
When you mix everything and add cheese on the top of it.