The beautiful resort town San Sebastian
San Sebastian is a lively city with a population of just over 186,000. San Sebastian is well connected to Madrid and Barcelona as well as to Paris, London and other European capitals. As San Sebastian is just 20kms from the French/Spanish border, its architectural style reflects a French influence. It’s one of the most popular Spanish tourist destinations due to the beaches, tradition, gastronomy and special events. Due to its size however, the city remains a safe and inviting option for international students.
Weather: Average high is 30 degrees in August and average low is 9 degrees in January.
Swimming Season: May till October.
Summer Atmosphere: Beach, fun, vibrant atmosphere, nightlife, watersports.
Winter Atmosphere: Quiet beach walks, nature and villages, sports, tranquillity.
Things to do in San Sebastian
- Explore the La Concha Beach
- Visit the port of San Sebastian
- Visit the neighbourhood Parte Vieja – old town
- Visit historical places and get to know the city better
- Climb to the top of the Monte Urgull mountain for a beautiful view
- Have a drink in one of the restaurants
- Have a great time on the beach
- Meet new people and make new friends
- Enjoy the cosy atmosphere of typical restaurants with open fireplaces
- Breath in the pure air and unwind by taking a nice walk along the beach
- Visit the Aquarium in San Antonio, the San Miguel Caves or the Air Zone Park San Antonio (with fun with inflatable orbs)
- Practice several sports
The teachers are highly qualified and specialized in teaching Spanish as a foreign language. All of the teachers have done the Teacher Training Course for Spanish as a Foreign Language (ELE) run by International House. They work as a team (2 teachers per class) and are supported by the academic Director of Studies and Teacher Trainer. Lacunza uses the International House methodology which is very practical and demands constant use of Spanish in the classroom. The language exercises are controlled and they extend their students’ language range by integrating new structures and vocabulary with known structures.
Each class is 45mins long. The classes have a maximum of 10 to 12 students which facilitates a close relationship between students and personalized teacher attention. The school encouraged participation and communication which leads to a good progress rate. The language evaluation consists of 3 stages:
1. An initial assessment of the student’s Spanish when they arrive using a written and oral test. This allows the school to place each student in the appropriate class for their level.
2. Fortnightly tests to check the student’s progress.
3. At the end of the course, each student receives a certificate stating their level of Spanish according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages. In order to preserve the high standard of teaching in our school, students are required to attend all lessons and do all assigned homework. This enables everyone in the class to progress rapidly and at the same pace. Failure to fulfil these requirements may result in the student being placed in a lower level.
TYPICAL CLASS TIMETABLE
The typical class timetable is as follows:
• 9.30 – 11.00: Spanish Language Class 1 & 2
• 11.00 – 11.30: Morning Coffee Break
• 11.30 – 13.00: Spanish Language Class 3 & 4
• 13.00 – 13.15: Afternoon Coffee Break / Lunch
• From 14.00 onwards: Individual or Mini-Group Lessons (exact timings of the individual or mini-group lessons will be confirmed on the student’s first day)
In the summer months afternoon classes can and may be held if required. Students will be advised the week prior if there are afternoon classes and new students will be advised on their first day after the Spanish level test.
Choose your home in San Sebastian:
- Host family
- Shared apartment/flat
- Private apartment
- Students residence
- Hotel/ hostel or pension
- Camping ground
- Ensuring that Hola People works with the best schools and are inspected regularly by ourselves
- We handle all the paperwork for you
- Avoid risks and bank charges by processing your program directly with the schools
- You have our pre-departure support by email and our emergency phone on arrival for anything you need
- 1-week stays allowed